Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Gala the third

This week is lead up to the gala week...and overall things are falling into place pretty well. There are, as always, a few loose ends that threaten to drive me absolutely crazy, but I'm trying to keep the scorpion queen reined in unless absolutely necessary. Let's see how well I do.

This will be my third gala with the Museum and, as my office wife can attest, things are more organized than ever. I can't help it, I just want everything to be organized, where it needs to be, easy, and perfect. The gala is never perfect, but I do my best to try and make it so. This year marks a number of interesting firsts for the gala - we are having an open instead of cash bar, having a magician and caricature artist, starting earlier in the evening....and we still have plenty of tickets left for sale. Ouch. Anyway, for those that are there, it should be a great time and although we may not quite reach our goal short of miracles, we have made a profit for the annual fund, so that is good!

I think one of the major problems that we face in this town is the sheer number of non-profit organizations out there looking for a piece of the donor pie...and right around this time of year is when the largest all tend to hold their big fancy galas. I imagine that if I was in the position to be a donor I wouldn't particularly desire to go to a fundraiser every weekend. So, we'll be looking for new ideas about the event and possibly investigate a change of season as we debrief after this year's event.

It's so strange that we haven't even had the event and I'm already beginning to move on from it. At work, I seem to be doing more related to the November board meeting and other upcoming projects than I am for the gala. Time never stops in anticipation of a big event, there is always something else to get started on.

2 comments:

Tristán Z. said...

I hope everything continues falling into place! And wish I could be there :-)

Anonymous said...

oh office wife...it will undoubtedly be the fete of fete's of the Ithaca charity season! All because of your planning and hard work!