Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Past is present

A rare entry from my paper journal - it seemed to apply to today.

1/6/2007 1:15 pm

I am at the lake sitting on a rock wearing my jean jacket, sleeves rolled into cuffs mid forearm. Perhaps 100 Canadian geese honk just offshore, migration is no longer a necessity. I cannot say that I abhor this kind of weather in January, but despite this balminess of an early spring day in the depths of winter, we must not forget that there may be, will be, other more unpleasant consequences around the world. Record snows have hit random places, shutting down livelihoods. In the summer, livestock drops dead of the heat, people do too. Climate is shifting and I don't doubt that we can meet many of the changes, but at what cost to third world nations and to ourselves? The issues of this world are interrelated. In solving energy use, perhaps we could solve some of Iraq. In some ways I fear we will destroy ourselves before the climate has its chance. What, really, are they doing abroad in war torn countries? What are they fighting for? Walking away can't be the answer, who is to say they will not follow our retreat? Is the world we are making a world that we desire to have?

No comments: