Thursday, November 13, 2008

Plan 9

So...last night I watched Plan Nine from Outer Space. It's a movie whose description on netflix includes the following: "one of the most popular cult classics of the 20th century, a two-time winner of the Golden Turkey Award for Worst Film and Worst Director of all time." So, I was really excited for something awesomely terrible...instead it was just random and rather boring. I'm not sure why this is a cult classic or why its considered one of the worst films ever. Sure its pretty bad in many many ways - script, acting, screen composition - but I'm actually surprised that people give it as much notice as it gets. To me its the kind of movie that would just fade away into obscurity, bad enough to be forgotten, but the bad wasn't really interesting enough to be remembered. But hey, that's just my thought on the matter. Maybe there are some special reasons why this one has been remembered.

I'm sitting here trying to think of the worst or most random scene in the movie and I'm not coming up with anything too vividly. I did spend most of the movie wondering why the supposed corpse of the old man's bride is so young compared to him...also, why were they buried in vampire clothes? And why do the corpses, who are not vampires, move around like vampires. (The answer to this one is probably because two of the corpses are played by Bela Lugosi and Vampira who usually did play vampires - but still, they aren't vampires in this one and shouldn't have moved like them.) So, yes, it really is bad, nothing works quite right. Ed Wood really was not meant to write or direct or produce.

No comments: