Tuesday, November 6, 2007

November

There were totally some snow flurries today. I guess that means its heading on towards winter. I can't say that I am totally ready. Summer and fall just slipped by me. Now that the nights are longer and earlier, there will be an immense amount of time freed up for more reading! I just recently finished off The Assistant by Malamud. I found this one at one of Ithaca's delightful quirks, the massive book sale that the friends of the library hold twice a year. It's the kind of booksale that puts other sales at local libraries to shame. If you haven't been, imagine a warehouse full of books with attendants constantly restocking shelves for two weeks. People come on the first days with empty boxes to cart away their finds. They wait in line for hours to get it. It's insane...it's Ithaca.

Anyway, The Assistant was decent, but did not really live up to its cover which proclaimed "Not to be missed!" I could have missed it, I would have been fine. I read a review by one reader on facebook's "i-read" which summed up the book as having dropped the reader at the end. I totally agree. We are led into the story, get somewhat attached to the characters and then its over. The writer decided that was good, he was finished, and sent us off into the world once more. Still, the book was worth the small sum that I paid for it.

Next up are the host of books currently populating the bedroom floor, including Vol1 of the Absolute Sandman, The Cryptonomicon, and Medea.

In other news, my car is still not fixed, sigh, wrong parts again. My friend's menagerie of pets continues to grow. And other things...

1 comment:

Sarah Berry said...

This is me officially chastising you for not posting more! Your fans are restless.